Wednesday, June 20, 2007

finally, some real doctoring . . .

well, maybe not. Most of my patients aren't the most communicative (especially when gorked out on meds during their procedure). I'm on endoscopy and nutrition service this month. Which is awesome, because its a consult service (meaning you only see other people's patients, so have less rounding in the morning). But its also rough, because I'm the only resident on the service. If I have questions about how things work, I have to call my attendings directly. Which can be intimidating. Plus I don't get to have a team of residents to share work with, which can be a great bonding experience.


Today was mostly endoscopy. I looked at a lot (and I mean a LOT) of colons. Its actually pretty fun, sticking an instrument that oddly resembles a garden hose up someone's you-know-where. I still have no idea how to work the scope, and flounder around a lot without going the right direction, but its still a blast. Sort of startling when you're staring at the colon on a screen, magnified I'm not sure how many times, and some poop comes flying into view. Tomorrow I have some EGD's to do (looking down into the stomach with a scope). Whoo hoo!


And, since I'm starting intern year, what better time to get a dog? I found an adorable one, so I brought her home. Pics are below. She's 5 months old. She came with the name Maddie, and we decided to keep calling her that. In my head her full name is Madison, after my favorite city. But Maddie rolls better off the tongue when she's chewing on something she shouldn't be or chasing the cat. The first day she was very mellow, probably overwhelmed. But now she's pretty much settled in, and loves to get into things that she shouldn't. But she's very lovable :)









3 comments:

Sarah said...

What a cutie! Now you live too far away, I can't be her vet! Well, I know you will be a great dog mommy.

amber said...

oh I'll bring her to WI to see you. You can't just trust any old vet, ya know.

K-Smash said...

Maddie is adorable!!